Last week a course was set up in light and shifty winds that proved adequate (with minor adjustments of the Pin) to complete four races in three hours. This week the numbers were reversed. Four courses had to be set in light and shifty winds before it was possible to run one race. This is not the way it was supposed to be.
Friday evening the weather forecasts were showing Westerly winds 20 – 25 mph. with gusts over 30 mph. Although Port Townsend Bay is well known to be appropriately non-conformist with regard to regional weather forecasts, this was sufficiently alarming to call for a skippers meeting Saturday morning to review the situation. (more…)
Following the past two weeks where the wind conditions were at either end of un-raceable, this week’s forecast was unexciting with weak winds that were very variable in direction.
The actual wind appeared to be a little North of West and the RC left to set a temporary mark downwind of Y. On leaving the breakwater it was obvious the wind shadows to Port were the stronger so the leeward mark was set about ¾ of a mile downwind of Indian Point. With the rapidly changing wind direction it took a while of chasing to and fro to get the mark downwind of I. Eventually we settled on an average. The good thing was that the wind was building up to 3 – 4 kts during this time. (more…)
A dock start was set up as a CB was unavailable. A delayed start was anticipated due to the Kinetic Skulpture race passing the dock. This was immaterial as boats trying to sail to windward on any wafts that drifted by could not stem the current. After an hour, AP was replaced by N in surrender.
The possibility of scheduling make-up races is under consideration.
The forecast was for winds SSE about 6 mph during the afternoon and there was minimal tidal change. The RC had designed courses suitable for winds with Northerly or Southerly Components and winds forming first in the Bay or outside the Bay. Mark A was to be set so the fleet could cross the Bay after a start to the South rather than gather in front of the departing 12:30 Ferry.
Viewed from the hill on Sims Way in late morning, the bay showed little sign of wind so the RC visited the beach at Pt Hudson and found a light but building SSE wind outside the bay. On return to the Dock (late because of difficulty parking due to the Film Festival) it was apparent the SSE wind had started to fill the bay.
Course SMTCDIYHTBF (17 nm.) was set and the fleet started with 9 kts. of wind from 150ºM. This was apparently the best wind of the day as most of the boats needed two hours to reach T at the 6 mile mark (partly due to an unpredicted strong ebb in the vicinity of B). The wind at the Dock dropped to 5 – 6 kts (same direction) during this time. The boats coming from T to C brought lighter wind with them.
It was obvious that changes to the course were needed if the fleet was to meet the time limit. Mark H and the return to Mark B were dropped from the course. While this only shortened course by 3 miles, the impact was much greater as there appeared to be little wind towards H and the strong currents in light wind at B were avoided. Two boats dropped out after the course change due to unfamiliarity with the marks and symbols.
The wind at the dock changed to 2.5 kts from 190ºM and then 3 kts from 220º as boats looped around DIYT (one boat missed D) to finish. There was more wind out in the Bay than at the dock until after the leaders had rounded T. Then they brought the dying breeze with them halfway to the finish and had to claw the rest of the way.
The popular and challenging Tour-de-Bay has moved from July to September in a search for better (any) wind.
The race is open to any and all sailboats. Just check-in with the race committee, on City Dock, before noon.
The race Course will round most of the marks in Port Townsend Bay for about 13 nm.
This will appeal to those requesting longer courses and those longing for PHRF starts (and those that have admitted they like dock starts).
No need to hunt for a link to the Sailing Instructions, they are right below.↓ A printable PDF is here tourdebay2019 SI’s
PTSA “Tour-de-Bay” Race – Sept. 21 st. 2019
The regular PTSA Series Sailing Instructions for 2019, published on ptsail.org will apply except as modified here. PHRF handicaps will be used.
All boats are to check in with the Race Committee on City Dock prior to the Alert signal. Boats that have not regularly raced with PTSA are requested to provide Boat Name, Sail Number (if any), Skippers Name and PHRF rating (if known). Boats without a rating will be assigned a temporary one.
The course will be displayed on the letter board as usual and, depending on the wind, will include most of the permanent marks on the “Marks and their Labels” sheet and the “Approximate Mark locations” chart.
Mark H is the most Northerly of the mooring buoys at Fort Townsend State Park. Mark M is the most Northerly of the mooring buoys at Fort Worden State Park. They are both close to shallow water, and there may be boats moored to them. Watch for tenders in the area.
Three long horn blasts indicate the RC will be making an announcement by loudhailer and/or VHF Ch 68. Be a sport and check that your neighbors are aware of the information.
The S/F line runs from the NE corner of City Dock to the course side of mark C, which serves as the pin. There will be one start, the Class flag is A and the Sequence begins at Noon.
The course set will require competitors to round Mark C at least once during the race. If at that time the S flag is displayed on City Dock, boats will be finished as they round C. If the C flag is displayed, with occasional horn blasts to draw attention, the course has been CHANGED. Check the course letters on the pierhead.
The Finish line will be the same as the start line.
Have fun and be safe
If in doubt, give way. Also, a 360 later deemed unnecessary, scores much better than a DSQ.
26’ & Under 2019 Results
A beautiful afternoon for sailing! 13 boats participated in 9ish knots of steady breeze.
Of the participants who were in the festival:
|6||Min Dejlise Pika|
Across the line finishes (race started at 13:00:00):
|2||Coco Solo||03:11:44 PM|
|7||Lady Jane||03:19:54 PM|
|10||Min Dejlise Pika||03:38:42 PM|
|11||Quin Que||03:47:10 PM|
Chesuki and Ellie were DSQ
Schooner Cup 2019 Results
After a short delay to accommodate a wind shift, the 15 boats got off to a very good start. Then the wind slacked and became quite fluky, and the struggle was on to finish. Two marks were removed to shorten the course as much as possible. Sir Isaac managed to stay where there was some breeze and had a comfortable win.
Finish order for Festival Schooners:
All finishers (approx. 2.5 mi. course, start time 15:11:00)
|1||Sir Isaac||04:01:09 PM|
|5||Wind Gypsy||04:38:03 PM|
|6||Betsy D||04:38:21 PM|
Mycia & Grail were DSQ.
Zodiac was DNF
Ariel of Victoria participated though she is not a schooner.
Her finish time was 16:27:16.
For the finale of the Dog Days Series we persisted with course SWOLF and managed to run three races. The wind was NW 7 – 8 kts. with no sharp gusts. Steady for the first two races, it faded during the third race leaving the fleet parked before the leeward mark for a while, then slowly rebuilding enough for them to claw their way to the finish.
This week we were visited by Murrelet and Jackoroe. They were offered, and accepted, a start after the Thunderbirds. They did not impede the ‘birds on the course. Murrelet finished ahead of Jackoroe.
Last week’s erroneous throwouts have been recognized and corrected in this report. (more…)
This, the fourth memorial of Ted and his contributions to the North West sailing community, was probably the most successful so far. Especially in terms of number of participating boats (11 anchored in the kelp and one on the beach), enthusiasm around the rum keg which was over filled (Sparkle’s entry fee was accidentally donated to Davy Jones during disembarkation) and definitely in terms of cooperating breezes. Sparkle and Pacifica maintained their perfect attendance record.
This week we continued setting the course away from shore and using the offset mark. Course SWOLF was again about 2 nm. long. This week the wind was more than generous. For the start of the first race the wind was NW 9 – 12 kts. with occasional sharp gusts to 15+. For the start of the second race it had risen to 12 – 15 kts. with the gusts more frequent and longer. It held a steady direction but continued to rise, a gust of 20 kts was measured towards the end. The offer of a third start was wisely declined. (more…)