A record of the minutes of PTSA board meetings.
PTSA Board Meeting – January 7, 2019
Attending: Doug Jones, John Bailey, Jim Heumann, Steve Scharf, Jeff Brantley, Piper Dunlap, John Lynes, Heidi Eisenhour, Dave Burrows
- Good race on Saturday (January 4) – both weather and after party!
- Frostbite series, every Saturday until April 1st
- Spring / Summer, Friday nights – 5 months
- Random leg
- No rating – just having fun! Beer can races.
- Adding in 505 racers
- Adding in 6 meters
- Party after each race
- Boats adopt a Friday
- F Flag to let people know there is food after race at container
- Midsummer series
- Dog days
- Beer sponsor – Seven Seas Brewing, Gig Harbor
- Heidi to call
- Ask Jim Maupin to help with non-rated races?
- Record finish times
- There are time limits
- Spring / Summer, Wednesdays – 5 months
- Windward leeward courses
- Whitecap – 5 weeks
- Sunshine – 4 weeks
- Midsummer series – 4 weeks
- Catspaw – 4 weeks
- Dog days – 4 weeks
- Windward leeward courses
- Nightcap Series
- All Boats
- Classes for boats with same ratings – like T-Birds
- Multiple Starts
- All Boats
- Distance races – ratings
- Smith Island – Spring
- Protection Island – Spring
- Watmough Bay – Summer – 2 races, each way
- Bush Point – Fall
- Ted Pike Race
- Winter Education – Stig
- Ulmann Sails – Chuck Skews, talk – February / March
- Committee Boat – Steve
- Dan Genther fixing up
- Clean the boat party, Sunday @ 11AM
- Jeff Brantley willing to help with data compiling for races
- Invite Jim Maupin to next PTSA meeting
- Race Ruckus weekend
- PRO ideas – Seattle, US Sailing, Orcas Sailing
- Final word on classic plastics – How many years old!
- John Bailey – Has talked to a couple of Cal-40â€™s
- T-Birds need to show up!
- How early can we reserve moorage at Point Hudson??
- Need to build a better shared list
- Need to create CMR specific database
- Lists to get:
- Swiftsure Classics
- Personal lists
- Round the County
- Email blast
- NWMC does everyone who has ever done to WBF
- NOR – Notice of Race
- Get 2020 up on NWMC website
- Next meeting January 29
- Invite John Bailey
- Send to CMR list!
- Insurance – Our policy is the right policy
- Treasurer report
- $2200 in bank account
- Current membership – about 5 skippers and 5 crew
- Season kickoff party, March 19, 6PM
- Published calendar of races – Jim, Chris – Include 505 regatta
- And – per Doug: two six meters looking for donation – potentially Schooner Martha, talkig to NWMC
Next meeting February 11th, 2020
PTSA Board Meeting 10 Dec 2019 Minutes
Jim Heumann, Steve Scharf, Stig Osterberg, Heidi Eisenhour, John Bayley, Doug Jones, John Lynes, David Burrows, Holly Kays, Roland, Jeff Brantley, Dan Ginther
● Reviewed 2020 Board elected:
○ President and Webmaster: Jim Heumann
○ Vice President / Scribe: Heidi Eisenhour
○ Secretary: Steve Scharf
○ Treasurer: John Lynes
At-large Board Members:
○ Dave Burrows (Race Committee Chairman)
○ Piper Dunlap
○ Stig Osterberg
○ Doug Jones
○ Holly Kays
○ John Bailey
○ Joe Daubenberger
○ Brian Bolling (permits)
○ Big James Arlsuch (race marks)
● Presidents report
○ Jim has been talking with members of the community. Hearing interest in more ‘fun’ races. What does that mean? First to finish? Remove pressure of competition, PHRF ratings – just get people out on the bay. Conversation around ratings being both an obstacle and attraction for sailors.
○ Discussion re: building the email list
● Racing Calendar
○ Regular Weekly Series
■ Frostbite series – Starting Jan 4, openhouse at container kickoff
● Saturdays through March
■ Two series in spring – Friday focused on PHRF (Random Leg Courses), Weds focused on T-Birds (Windward / Leeward). When there is a Saturday distance races, there have not been Friday races.
● Fridays (random leg courses) start in April and go through May.
○ April 3 – May 15 (7 races)
● Wednesdays (windward / leeward) – April to August monthly 4
○ Discussion of long windward legs at the start of races being beneficial.
○ Possibility: T-Bird crews each adopt on race to assist Dave with race official duties.
■ Fall series – Sept 19 to end of October
■ Boats that show up have handicaps assigned on the spot per Dave
■ Dave needs scorekeeper – High School Sailing Team idea!!
■ Possibility: Monthly “fun” regatta, kickoff with February Shipwrights.
● Parties after at the container
■ Committee boat obtained – Ms J – 28’, 8’ wide
● Interest from people in running the boat
● Costs for insurance, moorage
● Steve committed for a year
● Martin Mills might be willing to help, Dr. Barry’s son
● In Boat Haven for now
○ Distance Races
● 2 in Spring, 2 in Fall
● Weekend races
● Longer races have interest
● Potential May 30 – Race to East
● Special Races to consider – Tour de Bay
● Sailing party in Kilisut harbor!
■ Draft dates discussed and KNOWN dates:
● February – Shipwrights
● February 12 – High School Sailing team starts
● April 11 – DISTANCE – Smith
● May 9 – DISTANCE – Protection
● May 23/24 – Swiftsure
● June 6/7 – CMR
● June 12/13 – 505 Regatta here
● June 13 – 6 Meter Race here
● June 20 – SOLSTICE DISTANCE – Watmough
○ Day race
○ Race back
● July 11 – Possible: Kilisut rendevous + optional pajama party!
● August 22 – Ted Pike Race
● September 5-6 – T-Bird regionals
● September 26 – Bush Point, PM start
● Social – Clubhouse / shipping container
■ January 4 – Container kickoff party – Stew, hot cider
● Race start at Noon
● Other topics
■ Need a communications manager … to handle:
● Leader will post dates of races and results
● Create flyers and post at tops of docks, etc
● Community calendar on KPTZ
● 48N – SARC
● Need poster
● Working waterfront
● NWMC email newsletter, etc
● Wooden Boat Magazine
○ Educational events
■ Talk from the owner of Quantum Sails/Ulman – Stig
■ Heidi promises to talk to Jim Maupin
■ Committee boat
● Stig, Jeff
○ Next board meeting – January 7 at NWMC
■ Pacifica willing to do rabbit starts for distance races or Friday nights if needed
■ Overboard pylons to throw over MOB in windy races would be nice, but are expensive
Meeting adjourned 8:12.
PTSA Board Meeting 18 Sept 2019 Minutes
- Attendees: Steve Scharf, Piper Dunlap, Jim Heumann, John Lynes, Samuel from the Maritime Center, Dave Burrows, Doug, John Bailey, Jeff Brantley
- Storage – How much to charge? $50/month Steve will be first tenant
- Painting – Talk to City
- Have party after one of the fall races
- Tour de Bay
- Put in newsletter
- Dave will be on the dock the whole time
- Promote to tbird fleet
- Check sailing instructions for M buoy
- Learn to race class
- Big response
- 12 students, full enrollment with with waiting list
- Alice, Piper, Samuel instructyed
- 2 hours in class room, the rest in boats
- High school team was race committee
- Committee boat
- Steve is still looking
- Joe’s boat is one possibility
- Fall series
- Dock starts?
- Two courses?
- Longer races?
- Only PHRF
- Adam Henley will is promoting 6 meter internationals in Spain in 2020 (?)
- Promote 6 meter class for our Midsummer regatta?
- The end of year party will be on Thursday November 14th at the Cotton Building
Port Townsend Sailing Association – Board Meeting minutes
Tuesday August 13 at 6pm. At the Maritime Center A/V room
ATT: David B, John L, Jim H, Steve S, Heidi E
Ted Pike Race planning, August 24
- Need Doug
- 2 boats signed up – Pacifica & Mabuhay
- Need to further promote:
- Put in another newsletter, ask NWMC comms to put in e-news
- Race start at Fort Worden
- No food considerations, bring rum
- Ted Pike Race
- T-Birds – Int’ls WIN, Regionals coming
- Intro to racing
- $70/year for Smug Mug site for photo storage – Decided: get rid of it
- Report from the T-bird internationals
- Raven won! Go hometown team!!
T-bird regionals planning
- Labor Day weekend
- Up to 15 boats – 11 signed up, 2 loaner boats (Kolus + ), + bus & Dorado
- Need for 3 loaner boats, have 2
Helpers – imported race committee
- Need food for Race Committee – Angie? John will reach out, Steve will do if she won’t
Shipping container – Lease with Port of Port Townsend
- We have draft lease, Need Jim signature
- Have Roland & insurance review
- Site prep – gravel pad, shelving, policy for storage Access –
Committee boat discussion
- Ideal under 25’ committee boat
- Jazz / Miss J – 25 – 30’ Trawler
- Trailerable, needs mast and a few stantions
- Can we park near shipping container?? Ask Port
- Dennis Canty has a 19’ CDory
Need off season review of Insurance / lease / coverage, etc
Port Townsend Sailing Association – Board Meeting
Minutes Date: July 9, 2019 Location: Northwest Maritime Center
Attending: Dave B., Doug J., John B., John L., Stig, Piper, Jim H., Steve S., Heidi, Bill B., Roland
PHRF – Discussion:
- How to get regional boats to distance races – especially Ted Pike Race coming up August 24. Doug is lead for this race. Steve offered to help. Need to promote!
- PHRF Race series – Weds are harder for PHRF fleet and a second race on Friday’s hard for Race Committee. Decided to stick with Weds and have a second longer course for PHRF fleet if those boats show up.
- It was noted that the fall series is on Saturday (not Wednesday) so it should be equally attractive to T Birds and PHRF.
Clubhouse – Discussion: NWMC good for board meetings, couple of big events a year. Desire for location in Boat Haven for post-race festivities. PTYC would be good! Action: Jim Doug Jones will follow up with the Port Townsend Yacht Club re: using the YC for these smaller events. One question – can we have a BBQ there?
Treasurer’s Report – John Lyons, serving as Treasurer, reported that the bank account balance is $3700. $1000 is earmarked for youth activities. Discussion of annual revenue and expenses. Known expenses are insurance and running races (marks, etc) about $800 each. Revenue is largely from memberships at about $2K annually. About $500 comes from miscellaneous donations. Averages of 25 skipper level members and 10 crew.
Review of upcoming racing – Discussion of need to promote races regularly. Action: Agreed that a monthly email to email list would be a good start. Jim H agreed to make sure this happens. Discussed that they should include – races schedule for next month, race results, membership appeals, board meeting notices / minutes
Maritime Center racing – Action: Piper, Samuel Swenson & Alyce Flanagan (NWMC staff) are working on an adult learn to race curriculum for an October pilot of this course.
Discussion of needed functions at the club
- Race Committee – Dave B, Bill B has been helping and will continue & Committee Boat – Joe D. offered at last meeting, Piper to follow up. Angela Bradley has been doing RC food.
- Design work – Steve will do
- Minutes and Membership – Heidi will serve in this role with Steve’s help
- Reporter / writer – Roland offered to do, focus on the next few months of activity
Still need help for:
- On the Water, Photographer / image organizer
Board members elected – Action: Doug Jones was added to the board – with acknowledgement that he provides great representation for the PHRF fleet – Unanimously.
Mark Boat – Action: Dennis Canty has offered PTSA a rib w/o a trailer. We discussed and agreed we should take him up on his offer.