A record of the minutes of PTSA board meetings.
Port Townsend Sailing Association – Board Meeting minutes
Tuesday August 13 at 6pm. At the Maritime Center A/V room
ATT: David B, John L, Jim H, Steve S, Heidi E
Ted Pike Race planning, August 24
- Need Doug
- 2 boats signed up – Pacifica & Mabuhay
- Need to further promote:
- Put in another newsletter, ask NWMC comms to put in e-news
- Race start at Fort Worden
- No food considerations, bring rum
- Ted Pike Race
- T-Birds – Int’ls WIN, Regionals coming
- Intro to racing
- $70/year for Smug Mug site for photo storage – Decided: get rid of it
- Report from the T-bird internationals
- Raven won! Go hometown team!!
T-bird regionals planning
- Labor Day weekend
- Up to 15 boats – 11 signed up, 2 loaner boats (Kolus + ), + bus & Dorado
- Need for 3 loaner boats, have 2
Helpers – imported race committee
- Need food for Race Committee – Angie? John will reach out, Steve will do if she won’t
Shipping container – Lease with Port of Port Townsend
- We have draft lease, Need Jim signature
- Have Roland & insurance review
- Site prep – gravel pad, shelving, policy for storage Access –
Committee boat discussion
- Ideal under 25’ committee boat
- Jazz / Miss J – 25 – 30’ Trawler
- Trailerable, needs mast and a few stantions
- Can we park near shipping container?? Ask Port
- Dennis Canty has a 19’ CDory
Need off season review of Insurance / lease / coverage, etc
Port Townsend Sailing Association – Board Meeting
Minutes Date: July 9, 2019 Location: Northwest Maritime Center
Attending: Dave B., Doug J., John B., John L., Stig, Piper, Jim H., Steve S., Heidi, Bill B., Roland
PHRF – Discussion:
- How to get regional boats to distance races – especially Ted Pike Race coming up August 24. Doug is lead for this race. Steve offered to help. Need to promote!
- PHRF Race series – Weds are harder for PHRF fleet and a second race on Friday’s hard for Race Committee. Decided to stick with Weds and have a second longer course for PHRF fleet if those boats show up.
- It was noted that the fall series is on Saturday (not Wednesday) so it should be equally attractive to T Birds and PHRF.
Clubhouse – Discussion: NWMC good for board meetings, couple of big events a year. Desire for location in Boat Haven for post-race festivities. PTYC would be good! Action: Jim Doug Jones will follow up with the Port Townsend Yacht Club re: using the YC for these smaller events. One question – can we have a BBQ there?
Treasurer’s Report – John Lyons, serving as Treasurer, reported that the bank account balance is $3700. $1000 is earmarked for youth activities. Discussion of annual revenue and expenses. Known expenses are insurance and running races (marks, etc) about $800 each. Revenue is largely from memberships at about $2K annually. About $500 comes from miscellaneous donations. Averages of 25 skipper level members and 10 crew.
Review of upcoming racing – Discussion of need to promote races regularly. Action: Agreed that a monthly email to email list would be a good start. Jim H agreed to make sure this happens. Discussed that they should include – races schedule for next month, race results, membership appeals, board meeting notices / minutes
Maritime Center racing – Action: Piper, Samuel Swenson & Alyce Flanagan (NWMC staff) are working on an adult learn to race curriculum for an October pilot of this course.
Discussion of needed functions at the club
- Race Committee – Dave B, Bill B has been helping and will continue & Committee Boat – Joe D. offered at last meeting, Piper to follow up. Angela Bradley has been doing RC food.
- Design work – Steve will do
- Minutes and Membership – Heidi will serve in this role with Steve’s help
- Reporter / writer – Roland offered to do, focus on the next few months of activity
Still need help for:
- On the Water, Photographer / image organizer
Board members elected – Action: Doug Jones was added to the board – with acknowledgement that he provides great representation for the PHRF fleet – Unanimously.
Mark Boat – Action: Dennis Canty has offered PTSA a rib w/o a trailer. We discussed and agreed we should take him up on his offer.