This week we continued setting the course away from shore and using the offset mark. Course SWOLF was again about 2 nm. long. This week the wind was more than generous. For the start of the first race the wind was NW 9 – 12 kts. with occasional sharp gusts to 15+. For the start of the second race it had risen to 12 – 15 kts. with the gusts more frequent and longer. It held a steady direction but continued to rise, a gust of 20 kts was measured towards the end. The offer of a third start was wisely declined. (more…)
This week we took advantage of a generous breeze, NW 7 – 9kts., to extend the very short courses of the last series. Also, as practice for the upcoming Thunderbird West Coast Regional Championships, an offset mark was set. Course SWOLF (~2nm.) was set in the bay, away from shore effects. Two races were completed. The wind began to die towards the end of the second race so a third race was not attempted. (more…)
Due to the Race Committee’s failure to sync reality with the calendar and the published race schedule, an earlier version of this report erroneously referred to races 9, 10, 11 of the Cat’s Paw series. In fact last Wednesday’s races were #1, #2, & #3 of the Dog Days Series. Sorry for any confusion that was created in others.
Once again a steady, moderate, NW breeze allowed for three races (plus a false start – just for practice). As a break from rounding the pin, course SILF (1.1 nm.) was set. The CB was positioned such that leg 1 was 50% longer than leg 3. Boats completed the course in 20 – 25 mins. (more…)
Initially it was not noted that these races concluded the series. The opportunity was taken to upgrade the results table format to be readable on a cellphone. The actual results remain unchanged.
Once again we found a solid steady wind and were able to set up a course and start on time. The course set was SIFIF – 1.2 nm. and the leaders were able to consistently complete the course in a little over 20 min. (more…)
This week, again, we had a long wait for the wind to make it’s intentions known. When it finally came in it spread quickly across the bay and, after a few small shifts, settled on NW at a respectable 7½ – 8½ kts with rare gusts to 9. Course SILF was set and two brisk races were completed. Although short and fast, the offer of a third race was declined because of the late hour due to the first race starting almost an hour late. (more…)
After last week’s “no wind” cancellation it was disappointing, this week, to find the wind light and very peripatetic in direction. After a half hour postponement the wind settled for a while on 285°M and course SIFIF was set. At the start the wind had grown to 7 – 9 kts. By the end of the second leg it was 11 – 14+ and had backed to 270°M. The course was on the short side for this much wind and gave crews a workout. (more…)
Seven boats came out to drift around in the rain while the RC tried to interpret any little puffs of wind and set a course. After an hour, with no sign of any change in conditions, the RC lost patience and ran up the N flag.
And a writeup from Roland Nikles, skipper of Falcon:
Yesterday was race day in Port Townsend. The first day of the Summer catspaw series. The name suggests light conditions energized by patches of breeze touching down on the water’s surface like a kitten swiping at a roll of yarn. There was wind aloft. Exhaust from the tall stacks at the pulp mill flagged steadily towards Indian Island, indicating a northwest breeze of 10 knots, just as forecast. But the kitten was not playful. Nary a catspaw reached the surface and the race committee and seven eager Thunderbirds that turned out drifted hopefully in a cluster for ninety minutes. A warm rain began to fall softly ahead of a weak front, giving no definite direction to masthead Windexes. Eventually the race committee tossed in the towel in the form of its blue-checkered flag, signaling abandonment. Three T-Birds still on blocks in the boat yard this week will be happy.
It was a good-natured bunch. T-birds drifting in a pack waiting for wind, like ducks on Kai-Tai Lagoon. There is no better vantage point to observe Port Townsend, the Olympics, and the changing weather passing by, than out on Port Townsend Bay. After a three-week hiatus there was pent up enthusiasm. Seven crews thinking about their boats, going through the motions of rigging for sailing, brushing off flecks of accumulated bottom growth along the waterline, and navigating out from their slips out to the race course. Seals, gulls, murrelets, and fish skipping along the surface joined us among strands of drifting seaweed. “There will always be another day for racing,” said one back at the dock. He meant no harm done in not holding out longer waiting for wind. No harm because the boats got attention, gentle banter passed between boats and crews on the water, and Port Townsend Bay was beautiful as always.
A reminder that Wednesday racing is for the PHRF class as well. See you on the water.
This week’s racing was cancelled by consensus after considering the Gale Warning in the Strait and observing the building wind gusts in the Boat Haven. The screen shot below of the days wind record from the Paper Mill weather station confirms that the cancellation was prudent. So last week’s standings become the Final Series Standings.
There are no formal Series races scheduled for next Wednesday, June 26 or July 3rd. The July Cat’s Paw Series begins on Wednesday July 10th 18:00 hrs. (more…)
We managed to complete three short W/L races with course SILF. The wind was steadily from NW and the line square if rather short. For the first race the wind was hovering around 6 kts. The second around 5 kts. The third race also started with the wind around 5 kts. but as the fleet was rounding the leeward mark the wind died almost completely. It slowly strengthened, from the NE, enough for the fleet to finish but not suitably to start a planned fourth shorter race.
Thatuna and Kuma San switched ownership, skippers and crews during the series. The scores are continued to be attributed to the boat name/hull#.
This week, due to some interesting weather, we had a change from the multiple short W/L races we have been practicing and sailed a large triangle with a dock start. The course set was SITF. The wind at the dock at the start was Westerly 8 – 12 kts. Gusting to around 20. This course provided a reach along the waterfront with the wind eddying around the structures on shore, followed by an almost directly downwind run to the Tower. The wind on the far side of the bay was stronger than on the city side as indicated by confused seas and widespread whitecaps, also by some extreme heel angles. The leg from the tower to the finish was a Port tack fetch, until the last quarter mile where a large wind shift sent boats towards Point Hudson for a final tack to the finish. By the time the boats were finishing the wind at the dock had increased and its direction steadied. The evening of exciting sailing was marred by two very heavy rainshowers.