This event generated a high level of frustration for all concerned. On leaving harbor the RC found a very light Northwesterly breeze which the wind shadows showed to be very patchy. A temporary Windward mark was set few hundred feet into the darkest wind shadow and the CB headed downwind to set the S/F line towards the other edge of the wind shadow. Before setting the line it was necessary to wait much of an hour as the wind direction cycled through ±15° every few minutes while the mean direction slowly veered to the North. (more…)
The whole starting fleet crowds the line to finish Race 7!
Completed course SMF (1.6 nm.) in only 1:38:27
Seven T-birds joined the CB for over an hour of drifting around a placid bay until, eventually, a tongue of rippling water was noticed coming up from Port Hadlock. Even though the wind direction was oscillating widely while a windward mark and S/F line were being set out and course SWFWF posted, it had settled down by the start with the course fairly well aligned with the wind (for the first race). The wind shifted to the East during the finish of the first race, which left the course very skewed for the second, but due to the late hour it was not changed., The second race should have been shortened to one lap as the wind abandoned half the fleet at the windward mark, and eventually the RC searching for marks in the dark. . (more…)
The wind (or lack thereof) presented a major challenge both to the Racers and the Race Committee. On arrival at the dock the RC found winds 0 – 3 kts varying in direction such that it was unclear if the start should be to the NE or SW. There were small cat’s paws all over the bay so it was unlikely the fleet could cross the bay and back within the time limit. Nor sail along the waterfront without spending long periods in front of the ferry dock. A quick trip to Point Hudson showed the Cat’s Paws outside the bay to be larger. On return to the dock it was found the wind had strengthened to 5 -7 kts locally (but not across the bay) and settled on NW.
Temporary mark A was set out and course SABF3 (4.25nm.) was posted. For the first two laps there was usable wind in the area a few hundred yards from the beach to midway across the bay. Boats were averaging ~25 mins. for each of the first two laps, and when the shorten course decision time came at 18:40 the wind was unchanged and the race continued. This was unfortunate because as the second and third boats finished the wind died.
Ironically, as the RC was leaving the dock a strong Southerly blew up.
Five T-birds came out for what turned out to be a rarely beautiful evening of racing. It was warm and sunny and the wind, generally from the NW was between 8 – 10 kts for the first and third of the three races and 9 – 11 for the second. The water was flat and wind and tide lines easily visible. Three races were run promptly over a short course (SILF, ~3/4 nm.) and the times for each were similar. Raven continues to dominate, while the second and third boats are only one point apart. (more…)
According to PTSA tradition, the Whitecap was to run on Friday evenings from the start of Daylight Saving Time to the Classic Mariner’s Regatta. This was intended to allow the PHRF fleet to hone their skills before competing in the CMR. This is particularly important now the CMR is no longer restricted to wooden boats. So it was incorrect to label lasts week’s report as the Final standings. Friday’s race was #5 in the the series and there are more to come.
The wind at the dock while setting the course was Northerly around 5 kts., stronger away from the shore. In an attempt to provide a windward start, and because the sea state suggested stronger winds outside the bay the course SMCTF was posted. This allowed for shortening course at C and, as the wind backed to a Westerly (and grew towards 15kts.) CTF made good leeward/windward legs.
There was general confusion about how to handle the finish mark F due to approaching it from an unaccustomed direction. The F was solid so it was to be left to port. A boat approaching from the east (on Stbd. in this instance) just crosses the S/F line in the normal manner. A boat coming from the SW has to round F in order to cross the S/F line in the right direction (F to Port). No penalties were assessed as nearly every boat got it wrong.
NOTE:- Due to several requests, the start time for the Friday PHRF races may move to 18:00 hrs. Expect the 6 horn blast Alert signal at 17:54 hrs. If this truly presents a problem for any competitor, notify the RC ASAP to seek an accommodation.
This was a rugged evening. Two races were sailed using the short course format, SYFYF . The wind was steadily Westerly, 14 – 16+ kts for the first race, increasing towards the end, and around 23kts., with lumpy seas, for all of the second.
Five boats came out in the face of a forecast for Westerly winds in the high 20’s and possibly low 30’s. The actual wind in the starting area (which was swirling around the buildings on shore) was generally Westerly, 8 – 13 kts with lulls to 4. A gust of 19 kts was noticed. The water in the lee of the shore was smooth for several hundred yards out from the beach. In the rest of the bay whitecaps had not yet formed, though many were visible outside.
Course SYGYCBF (6.69 nm.) was posted. A leg between Y & T would have made a better W/L but it was low tide. The pass by C allowed for shortening course if it got really nasty outside the bay.
After the start everyone held starboard tack to get out of the turbulent air near shore. Most reefs were shaken out after rounding Y. After rounding G, Cloud Splitter was going so fast on a reach they decided to take the great circle route to B. Martha had the cringle for the second reef on her main pull out, and retired. Pacifica was inconvenienced by altering course for a ferry that was running well behind schedule, but still saved her handicap. The weather outside the bay did not appear to have worsened so the race was not shortened. However, observing the pitching and extreme sudden heeling of mastheads rounding the corner, there must been some significant seas and a very gusty wind. (more…)
Once again a short W/L course with a lot of roundings was set and this time the wind was steady enough to run it twice.
The S/F line was set about 1/4 mile to leeward of mark I while the wind was 8 – 9 kts. steadily from 215°M. Course SIFIF was posted. During the first race the wind started to soften and by the end of the race was ~6 kts and shifting ±10°. A second race was run over the same course, during which the wind softened further and became more variable, 3 – 5 kts, ±20°. This made it impractical to run a planned third, shorter, race.
Next week we start over with the May Sunshine Series. (more…)
The Committee Boat was suffering from an electrical malaise. The start was from the dock, where the wind was from NW, variable at 3 – 5 kts. A multi-leg course, SYTCBF (5.86 nm.), was posted, each leg being on a different point of sail and the course having the ability to be shortened at C should the wind die. SY was a reach along the waterfront, YT almost directly downwind, TC was a port tack fetch (except for the last 1/4 mile when boats were increasingly headed. CB was an increasingly close reach with the tide, while the leg to the finish was with the tide and was also an increasingly close reach. During the race the wind at the dock grew to 9 kts but from observation, while variable it was not of this strength over most of the course. (more…)